Simple Present and Present Progressive
- Something smells (smell) very good.
- We are eating (eat) dinner at seven o’clock tonight.
- He practices (practice) the piano every day.
- They are driving (drive) to school tomorrow.
- I believing (believe) you.
- Maria has (have) a cold.
- Jorge swimming (swim) right now.
- John hates (hate) smoke.
- Jill always gets (get) up at 6:00 Am.
- Jerry is mowing (mow) the lawn now.
Simple past and Past Progressive
- Gene was eating (eat) dinner when his friend called.
- While Maria has cleaning the apartment, her husband was sleeping (sleep).
- At three o’clock this morning, Eleanor was studying (study).
- When Mark arrived, the Johnsons were having (have) dinner but they stopped in order to walk to him.
- John went (go) to France last year.
- When the teacher entered (enter) the room the students were talking.
- While Joan was writing the report, Henry was looking (look) for more information.
- We saw (see) this movie last night.
- At one time, Mr. Robert own (own) this bulding.
- Jose was writing (write) a letter to his family when his pencil broke (break).
Present Perfect and Past Tense
- John wrote (write) his report last night.
- Bob has seen (see) this movie before.
- Jorge has read (read) the newspaper already.
- Mr.Johnsons has worked (work) in the same place for thirty five years,and he is not planning to retire yet.
- We haven’t began (begin/negative) to study for the test yet.
- George went (go) to the store at ten o’clock this morning.
- Joan has travelled (travel) around the world.
- Betty wrote (write) a letter last night.
- Guillermo called (call) his employer yesterday.
- We haven’t seen (seel negative0 this movie yet.
Past Perfect >> S + had + V3
The past perfect is used to indicate
- An action that happened before another action in the past.
There usually are two action in the sentences.
- John had gone to the store before he went home.
S + had + V3 + before + S + V2
- John went home after he had gone to the store.
S + V2 + after + S + had + V3
- Before John went home,he had gone to the store.
Before + S + V2 + S + had + V3
- After John had gone to the store,he went home.
After + S + had + V3 + S + V2
2. A state which continued for a time in the past,but stopped before now.
Abdu had lived in New York for ten years before he moved to Califfornnnia.
- Past Perfect Progressive (continous)
S + had + been + V ing
Abdu had been living in New York for ten years before he moved to California.
- The policeman read the suspect his rights after he had arrested (arrest) him.
- After John had washed (wash) his clothes,he began to study.
- George had waited (wait) for one hour before the bus come.
- Maria entered (enter) the university after she had graduated from the community college.
- Jeanette washed (wash) the pipettes after she had completed the experiment.
- Jent sent a letter to her university after she received (receive) her scholarship check.
- After the stewardesses had served lunch to the passengers, they sat (sit) down.
- The car had flipped (flip) ten times before it landed on its roof.
- We corrected our papers after we had taken (take) the quiz.
- John had lived / had been living (live) in Miami for one year when his parens came to visit.